As we think about our New Year’s Resolutions, how about we throw in a
few from Jesus himself? Aside from the usual “lose weight, get in shape
and quit a bad habit“ resolutions, it might be nice to add one or two from
the Master. Here are a few to consider for 2017;
1. To “seek first the kingdom of God” (Matthew 6:33).
2. To “Let your Light shine before men that they might see your good
works” (Matthew 5:16).
3. To “be at peace with one another“ (Mark 9:50).
4. To “See to it that no one misleads you” (Mark 13:5).
5. Through prayer to; “ask, and it will be given to you, to “seek, and you
will find,“ to “knock, and it will be opened to you.” (Luke 11:9).
6. To “Go into all the world and preach the gospel“ (Mark16:15).
7. Through the partaking of the Lord’s Supper, to “proclaim the Lord’s
death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:24-26).
Jesus said, “The words l have spoken unto you, they are spirit and they
are life“ (John 6:63).
lf you would like to add a little spirituality and eternal
life to your New Year’s Resolutions you might consider some of the
above words of Jesus. Look at it this way: lf you spent more time on spiritual needs, and less on physical needs, you might also lose weight!
–by Dennis Doughty